I am sitting her with a list of all the candidates that will be on my ballot today. I decided to actually find out who the Texas Railroad commissioner was and what the heck they do. Turns out they do nothing with railroads anymore. The department was originally formed to protect Texas farmers and landowners from the land hungry big railroads back in the heyday of the railroads. Nowadays, the railroads are not even under their purview, they deal instead with the land hungry (and destroying) big oil and gas companies. Go figure. But now I know and checked out the candidates and decided to vote for the democratic new guy. He's got a good history of taking on "the man" and holding large entities accountable for mistakes.
The Texas Supreme Court is currently ALL republican, so we need to sprinkle some democrats in there just for democracy's sake.
The current Texas senator is Cornyn, who is republican, but looking through his voting record and bills he has sponsored, I feel pretty good about him. His challenger would be OK, but he wants to make illegal alien workers who have been working here for a while come out of the shadows and pay a bunch of back taxes, which I suppose in theory is a good idea and what should happen, but I think it's a little crazy to expect people who are most likely working minimum wage jobs just barely scraping by to fork over a whole bunch of money. So he's not getting my vote.
So now I just need to check out the state rep, and an 8th court of appeals justice and I will be all decided. Nothing like waiting til the last minute huh?
Here's a couple pictures, enjoy, and make sure you vote!!
2 comments:
I'm blue and green, myself. It's really good that you are looking these people and issues up, and I (and the jillion people reading this) commend you for it. It's too easy to vote the ticket, be it dem or repub...or radical anarchist.
In California they give actual voting guides that have statements from all candidates and their bios, and info pro and con about propositions (and the full text, if one wants to get really involved).
When I moved back here I went to the alderman's office and asked for something like that--and all they had to give me was a couple of glossy color brochures that some candidates had printed out. Oh, well.
I am impressed at your thoughtful voting. You should start a political website, like call it "who me, I'm not political"
Post a Comment