Saturday, September 27, 2008

they obviously weren't breastfed....

Yesterday Sara and I went into Alpine so that she could get her first Synagis shot of the season. This is a shot that they give to preemies during RSV (an upper respiratory infection like a cold, but much worse for preemie babies) season to protect them from getting it. Anyways, due to a difference of opinion between the pediatrician in Odessa and the GP in Alpine who was going to be administering it (ped says she needs it, GP says the literature says she is out of the parameters for needing it..) and due to the fact that we couldn't get a hold of anyone at the ped office, she ended up not getting it. Gotta love driving 200 miles roundtrip for no reason....

But it was not a total loss. I was able to get a picture of the awesome poster in the bathroom at the docs office.
This thing cracks me up everytime I see it. Though I can't read Spanish that well, obviously the general message is that breastmilk makes babies smart. My favorite things about this poster are
1) they show an asian kid with a calculator, hello stereotype!

2) it is in Spanish and they show an asian kid..with a calculator.

I guess I should see how Sara's calculator skills are. She's had 10 months now to perfect them

Meanwhile sitting across the waiting room from us were some of Alpine's future stars. Sul Ross State University is located in Alpine, so there are a fair amount of college students there. I guess they must have been taking advantage of some sort of school sponsored health benefits, because there were quite a few of them there yesterday. Anyways, the best conversation that I overheard came from three guys who looked to be about freshman age. After calling each other "dawg" about 25 times within a 5 minute period, they proceeded to share their memories of earlier school years when they had to spend the last 20 minutes of the day..READING BOOKS!

They went on to talk (alot) about how reading was lame and remembered how they had to do that "stupid sh*t" every day.

They were however very excited about getting a good deal on some Air Jordans online and thought that El Paso was the greatest town in the world. I just remembered my other favorite quote from them. One of them was hispanic and didn't know what "el paso" meant. (by the way it means the pass or crossing.) Paso to pass, not that much of a leap. I guess their mothers didn't see the poster.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Dude I hate readin too. Its a good thing i didn't have to do much of that in college!

I love the expression on that baby's face. It's like an old man face, and he's just had a major mathematics breakthrough.

Kristin J said...

You are right. That poster is terrible.

I'd be pretty fired up about the GP's refusal to play it safe and give Sara the shot. Small town doctors are a strange bunch.