Wednesday, September 10, 2008

progress has been made!

Thanks to our friend Doug who just spent 5 days with us and a lot of time down on the floor playing with Sara, I was able to get a lot of work done and have finally shipped off some glass to the cave for the lanterns.

Here's a picture of them all:

The lines on the draperies, the fruit on the prickly pear and the prickly pears in the foreground of the mountain scene are all fused glass that has been Incorporated into the design. The roadrunner and ocotillo are entirely fused. And in case you are wondering, the glass for the roadrunner came like that, I did not make it speckled. The details on the column, the dots on the prickly pear and the details on the bat are painted on and then put in the oven to make the paint pretty much permanent on the glass.

Since Doug was going to be driving through Carlsbad on his way home, I sent them with him and he is going to drop them off for me.

All together I sent 14 panels, there are only 10 pictured above, but there are two of the column panels and 4 of the prickly pear panels.

I feel like I should make more cave scenes, but I don't really like making cave scenes, because

1) it's hard to get the detail needed in 3 and a half inches

2) cave formations look a lot like certain male body parts

3) a cave is pretty dark (about 80% of the cave is underground and unexplored after all!) and dark colors aren't that exciting to work with.

I like the draperies panel a lot though. The column, if I make it again, should be made using a lighter more translucent color for the column.

I like doing the fused ones a lot as well because they are easy. However, due to the small size of my kiln I can only put two in at a time. :(

So that is what is new in the world of glass.

In the world of Sara, we are dealing with continued teething issues. Her nose is constantly crusty and snotty. You know when you see a kid with snots running out of their nose and you wonder "why don't their parents do something about that??" Well that's my kid now. And I do do something about, but then the boogers are back moments later, so unless I follow her around with a tissue ALL day, there is no keeping up with it. I have been told by other mothers that teething produces snots. So I guess that's what is going on. She has one tooth on the top and one on the bottom. Also there are two about to burst through, one on the top and one on the bottom. She is cranky on and off, some days are fine and then some days I have the most miserable little child.

Also there is a lice breakout in the park. No problems in the Khan-zuchowski household though. Let's hope it stays that way. I guess that's where it comes in handy that we live 10 miles from the general park population and don't intermingle all that often.

Here are some pictures. The good thing about having a zillion and a half pictures of your baby is that even though I have not taken any in the past couple days, I can draw from the picture pool and come up with a previously unseen picture.


Last week Sara had a slight fever one day for a little while. It went away quickly, but I don't think she smiled once all day. This was her face that day.

The smile is back

In long sleeves. How unusual!

The reason Sara is growing so well is because this is the spoon we use to feed her with!

3 comments:

Kristin J said...

I love love love your glass panels! You are so talented.

Sarah said...

Beautiful job... it is so cool how the fused glass patterned on the roadrunner! I hope they are paying you well.

That comment about the giant spoon was hilarious!

Mary said...

hey! that "mean" face looks a lot like a normal Andrew face!
p.s. how come her car seat straps are so loose? Tighten them up!