Thursday, September 18, 2008

sunrise to sunset

That's how long we were in the car yesterday. Sorry I have no picture of the sunset. By that time we had no interest in stopping for anything.

We went up to Odessa for a doctors appointment for Sara. We left when it was still dark, and got home when it was dark. I hate going there and back in one day, but we had not choice really. Iffy took a sick day to go, so he had to be at work today. We normally do the trip in one day, but yesterday was an unusually long day on the road. Somehow we ended up spending near 8 hours in Odessa. I don't know how we did that, but we did.

On a semi-related note, Odessa hotels are so damned expensive. The Motel 6 is 62.99 for one person. Why the hell would anyone pay that much to stay in Odessa???? The reason everything is so high is supposedly due to the oil boom in the area. If you go to Hotels.com, most rooms are coming back in the over $100 category. I realize that some people actually factor the quality and amenities of a hotel into their plans when staying somewhere, but as someone who uses a motel for the sole purpose of not falling asleep while driving, i.e a place to stop over before getting on the road again, most of the time spending only 10 hours at the most in one of their crappy pastel color themed rooms, I do not understand why motel rooms need to be so damn expensive. I should also mention that none of the motels in Odessa have any amenities or quality. These are the La Quinta and the Days Inn we're talking about here.

Anyways, back to topic. We went to the doctor because about 6 or 7 times now Sara has started gagging and choking for no apparent reason. I have noticed a few times that before it happens she seems to be dealing with liquid or something in her throat/mouth, but since this happens at random times, NOT when she is eating or drinking, the doc thought it was reflux. So Sara is back on some meds. Prevacid to be specific. She has to take half of a pill everyday. It's a dissolvable tablet that goes in her mouth and is gone in seconds. She has her 12 month check up in 2 months, so unless it gets worse and more frequent, we'll just discuss it then.

Due to our lengthy stay in town, the dogs were in the house for 16 hours with no access to the outside. In the past, we have had our neighbor come by and let them out, but due to the flooding situation, he was busy. Somehow, I do not understand how, there was NO poo or pee on the carpet when we got home, BUT there was this...

All of the stuffing is coming out of the rip on the top right cushion. I guess I'll be doing some sewing today. I guess it could be worse. We had another love seat at one time (the one from you Amy) that the dogs entirely ripped up and killed. I think when it was all said and done there was a tennis ball somewhere deep within the couch that I found. I guess they were trying to get it. Maybe someday, like 10 years from now, I can have nice things, but until then we will sit on the sewed up couch and prop our feet up on the gnawed on coffee table. Thanks dogs!

Here's your Sara pics

2 comments:

Kristin J said...

Bad Dogs!!! You are handling the shredded sofa better than I would. But hey, our hubbies work for the feds so even if we didn't have kids and dogs, we couldn't afford nice things anyway.

That is a long day in the car. Thank goodness you got drugs for Sara. Hopefully they help.

Sarah said...

Ah, beautiful Odessa... yuck. I hope that the medicine helps Sara, if only kids could just tell you what's wrong...

That seems like some pretty aggressive couch chewing, the dogs have probably been planning that escapade for ages. Once when we were gone for the weekend the cat pulled over the garbage can and dragged it all over the kitchen. She was real proud of herself for that one.