My sister-in-law Samia and I
Anywho, much has happened since last I posted. We'll start with trip number one.
Iffy, Sara and I headed back east to South Carolina on the 26th. It was the second time that Sara flew, but the very first time that Iffy and I have ever flown anywhere together. We had to stop over in Houston, which is an airport that smells alot like pee. Pee or Lysol. Presumably the latter is for cleaning up the former.
Iffy's brother Zulfy and his wife Samia, live in SC, and his sister Humera, who lives in England, came over for a few days to see us. It was the first time that they all were meeting Sara, and the first time that we have seen them since our wedding two years ago.
While we were there we went to the aquarium, walked along the beach, did some shopping, had an early Thanksgiving dinner (my first Turkey fry!) and otherwise just hung out and didn't do much of anything.
The aquarium is cool, it's all local sea life, and their ocean tank is really awesome. It's about two stories tall with lots of sharks swimming around and a really huge sea turtle.
The day we went to the beach the weather was perfect, the water was warm. It was great. Probably signs of global warming and impending doom. But for the time being it was enjoyable at least. We saw a guy fishing on the shore reel in a stingray, and then stand their befuddled wondering how to get it back out into the ocean. He finally scooped it into a bucket and flung it out to sea. Unfortunately we were there when the tide was not at it's lowest. So there wasn't as much cool stuff exposed as there could have been. But it was fun anyway. Sara splashed around and got her feet and butt wet.
The Saturday before we had some people come over and we did a Thanksgiving dinner, complete with fried turkey. It was the first time I was ever party to the frying process. Now I see why it is so important to do it outside. I would imagine that standing around watching a bird carcass suspended in 340 degree oil brings out a manly desire for beer. Couple that with lots of people milling about and an open vat of hot oil above an open flame, and you've got yourself a full fledged fire hazard.
After dinner we had a bonfire in the backyard. Iffy and I were trying to remember the last time that we sat around an open fire like that, and we were drawing a blank. It's been a while. Darn parks don't let you have any fun in them these days!
As weeks off have a way of doing, it went by way too fast, and before we knew it it was time to go.
It was really great to see them all again. However it was a sad reunion too. It was the first time I had seen them since our niece Megan was born in January. Megan was a beautiful little girl who was only with us on this earth for a few hours. She would be 8 and a half months old now. I miss her all the time and I am so sad that I never got to meet her. She is always in our hearts.
So now Sara and I are in Chicago. I'll write about that at a later time. I am posting from a Mac and it is being retarded about letting me switch up the order of all these photos. I wanted to scatter them through the post according to topic. Oh well. That's not going to happen. Enjoy
Iffy doesn't look too enthused about yet another photo.
Left to right: Samia, Iffy (and Sara) and Zulfy
Cutie pies
Sara and auntie Humera.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, Samia put henna in my hair to make it a little redder. It's a thick paste that has a very earthy, muddy smell to it. But it is a great conditioner!
Sara's lunch break
I really do have two legs. The other one is hiding.
The Khan Clan
Megan's grave
2 comments:
Your family looks so nice. I love the beach photos. It looks like a great vacation.
Fried turkey! Well, good thing that went as planned, or else you might have had the bonfire in the form of a flaming vat of oil.
Looks like a fun trip. Sometimes I forget that oceans exist. Sorry to hear about your little niece, I'm sure that she is very loved even though she was only here for a little while.
Post a Comment