Tuesday, July 29, 2008

This might be the place..

Though we started this land hunting journey with the intent of looking for vacant land, we have ended it with a cabin coming in at first place on the list of possible vacation sites. The pluses (sp?) being that it is already there, and it’s got an awesome porch. It overlooks Heron Lake, which is a NM state park full of very large sized lake trout and Kokanee Salmon.

These are fish that would not be caught by Iffy's preferred method of fishing: fly-fishing, but rather by my preferred method of fishing: throw a line in with some power bait and see what happens. Fly fishing annoys the crap out of me. Sure it looks like fun, especially if you have ever seen "A River Runs Through It", but the reality of it is that the line gets tangled about a zillion times on everything in sight, the rod is just a little too long to deal with both ends of it at the same time, and Brad Pitt is no where to be seen.

In the spirit of being good little tree-hugging parkies that we are, the cabin’s got a composting toilet. We’re gonna have award winning tomatoes next year, make sure you wash ‘em first! The only down side is that there is no running water or septic system (hence the composting toilet). So, we would have to haul it in (the water, not the sewage!), or set up a rain catchment system or something. But we can figure it out. It does have electricity though, so that’s good.

It is in a gated subdivision. Now normally I would not consider myself to be a person that would ever live in a subdivision. I hear the word “subdivision” and immediately I think of cookie cutter pre-made neighborhoods located next to highway off-ramps, where people are probably STILL getting lost going to their own home after living there for 10 years because there are no unique distinguishing characteristics that make it possible to pick their house out of a line up. However, this is nothing like that at all. There are no covenants, we can have as many junk cars spilling over onto the front yard as we would like, no home owners association that will tell us that we can’t hang laundry up to dry. And unlike most other subdivisions and their quaint names that do little to actually describe the location, the name of this one:“Laguna Vista” is quite appropriate, because you really do have a vista of the laguna from the front porch of the cabin!

Other attractive features are that the lake is about a half a mile from the cabin, and there is a creek nearby as well. If we got this place I think some sort of boat purchase would be in the future. While the town of Chama is not all that exciting, it is only about 50 miles from Pagosa Springs CO, a town with a bit more to offer.

So, I guess the next step is that we will have it inspected and appraised before making an offer on it. Hopefully it doesn't have any major defects, it looks pretty well maintained, let's hope it doesn't just look good on the surface.

Here are some pictures.
Enjoy

Joanne





I guess it's got the Sara seal of approval!

3 comments:

Kristin J said...

I really like it! It looks so peaceful.

Sarah said...

Wow that looks great! Can I come visit? :) I don't know about the water situation though... I do enjoy my long showers.

Anonymous said...

well we know what to get you for christmas, does Hinckley deliver out there? and we all want to visit!

mom