Thursday, July 24, 2008

Adventures thus far.....


Hello all,

It's been a while since I have last posted. We've been busy and then tired by the time little miss Sara decides to go to bed for the night.

So far our vacation has been going NOT according to plan, as most things in our life tend to do.

After leaving our friend Doug's house in Capitan on Sunday morning we headed north to a cabin located right between El Vado Lake State Park and Heron Lake State Park, just south of Chama NM. Iffy and I both had high hopes which came crashing down all around us when we saw the toliet that still had evidence of a prior user's explosive bowel movement. The charm of the place was futher added to by the screaming rednecks next door.

Then on Sunday night, as we were spending time at redneck central in the middle of nowhere, my abdominal pains that had been lingering around for over a week suddenly got much much worse. The lower right quadrant of the abdomen is of course where the appendix is, so I started freaking out that my appendix was about to burst while we were out in the boonies. We called a contact we have who is an ER doc in Dallas, and he did a good job of assuring me that given the length of time it had been around it was most likely not my appendix, so I could wait til the morning to go see someone.

So on Monday morning we got BACK in the car and drove the 3 and a half hours BACK to Albuquerque so I could visit an ER. The dogs got to visit a kennel.

After four hours and a couple ultrasounds it was determined that I had an ovarian cyst. Not really a big deal. It will go away. I already had felt much better that day as it was. The doctor wrote me a prescription for Vicodin which I did NOT fill. Breastfeeding and Vicodin don't mix. The pain is not that bad. It's amazing how quick they are to hand out narcotics!

After our unexpected trip back to Albuquerque, we stayed there a night before heading back north to Chama on Tuesday morning (NOT to the same poo-toilet cabin!). We looked at some land parcels on Tuesday and Wednesday. We saw some promising areas, including one pretty neat cabin with an awesome view of Heron Lake and a really nice big front porch. Of course that was the day I forgot my camera, but we're going back to get pictures of it today.

Well, I gotta run, but here are a few pictures to peruse.
Enjoy.
Joanne

p.s I was wrong, it's not a tooth.



we don't see aspens much down in Texas
top: Me and Sara at the lookout tower over looking mountains near Ruidoso
middle: Sara sportin some cool shades in WalMart, the three of us in the Fort Stanton Cave parking lot near Capitan. we did not go in the cave
bottom: crazy squash baby. Notice that she is being propped up in the high chair with a pack of paper towels!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the squash baby picture!

Sarah said...

"Explosive bowel movements" - hahaha! I love how you wrote that. I get the picture immediately! Too bad about the rednecks, they seem to be every where these days.

They gave you vicodin for an ovarian cyst?? I had one once that induced vomiting and horrible back pain, and they were like, well, you'll get over it...