
Perhaps even more important than vowing to love me through sickness and health, Iffy has given me a corner of the garage. A sign of true love indeed!
My newest toy is a Skutt Hot Start Pro kiln. I like it a lot so far. It comes pretty idiot proof with a few pre-programmed programs from the factory, excellent for beginners. And as you get better and learn more, you can program your own firing schedules. The shelf inside is only 13 inches in diameter, so of course it limits the amount of stuff you can make at once. You can't really layer stuff inside because the heating element is in the lid, so if you had two layers of shelves in there the top one would be heated more than the bottom one, or so they say. Perhaps I will experiment with little stuff some day.
My newest toy is a Skutt Hot Start Pro kiln. I like it a lot so far. It comes pretty idiot proof with a few pre-programmed programs from the factory, excellent for beginners. And as you get better and learn more, you can program your own firing schedules. The shelf inside is only 13 inches in diameter, so of course it limits the amount of stuff you can make at once. You can't really layer stuff inside because the heating element is in the lid, so if you had two layers of shelves in there the top one would be heated more than the bottom one, or so they say. Perhaps I will experiment with little stuff some day.
All in all a fuse takes the better part of the day. Anywhere from 4-6 hours to go up to 1400 or so degrees and cool down to 800. After it reaches 800 degrees it is done, but then you still have to wait until it cools down to room temperature before you open it. So all together we're looking at about 13 hours. I like to put stuff in in the evening so it will be waiting for me in the morning.
The earrings and pendant above include dichroic glass.
Dichroic seems to be a pretty popular material in the world of fused glass, especially in making jewelry. However the colors always remind me somewhat of Lisa Frank folders and notebooks:
Since I am no longer an eight year old girl, I don't much care for Lisa Frank, so I don't think dichroic glass will be making much of an appearance in my stuff.
And finally in other crafty news...
I have FINALLY finished sewing together little triangles. I am pretty excited about that. I have made progress on the quilt I am working on.
Since Iffy and I just upgraded ourselves to a king sized bed, this is gonna have to be king sized too. I have to put a border around it. Not sure what color I am going to use yet. Any suggestions? Also I guess unless I give it to someone to machine quilt I will have to do it by hand, I can't fit a king sized quilt in my machine. So it will be a long time before it is truly finished.
That's all for now. Sara is sleeping now, I have no picture of her yet today. But here's a clue...she looks a lot like she did yesterday!
Gonna go now and try to get something else done while she is still asleep.
Adios








2 comments:
I don't know anything about kilns, but can you also fire pottery in this type, or is it only for glass?
Wow, you've done so much on your quilt! You are a speedy quilter. I can't wait to see it finished!
Where in the He** do you find time to quilt? I can't even find time to brush my hair.
Kristin J.
Post a Comment