Saturday, October 3, 2009

the weekly pilgrimage begins...

That's right, I know you will all be jealous, we get to go to Odessa once a week from here on out! Hooray! Caroline better appreciate it that's all I have to say!

Pictured above are some of the cultural offerings to be found in Odessa, from left to right:

1) The fiberglass jackrabbits that reside throughout the city. These long eared statues pay homage to Odessa's past glory as the home of the jackrabbit rodeo from 1932-1977, when the Humane Society raised objections and brought this titillating event to an end. Damn bunny huggers always ruin everything!

2) The George W. Bush Presidential and Leadership Museum. This library is reported to have the worlds largest collection of connect-the-dots books. If the museum does not fulfill your intense desire to learn more about one of our countries finest and most respected leaders, you can drive to neighboring Midland, and visit his childhood home. Mind you, W was not actually BORN in Texas, he's an east coaster by birth, but he got here as quick as he could.

3) The Stonehenge Replica that graces the campus of UTPB, that's University of Texas at the Permian Basin. Though not obvious in this picture, if you position yourself just right on the night of the full moon, you can catch a glimpse of both the Walmart AND Chilis lined up perfectly through the majestic stones on the other side of 42nd Ave.

We went up yesterday for my appointments, all is well so far, but the perinatal doc thought my face looked a little puffy (a preeclampsia thing) and since we are getting into that time when it all happened before, he wants to start seeing me once a week. In addition I will also be doing the blood/urine work once a week too. It will be kinda a drag to have to make the weekly runs, but I am glad that I have the conservative, cautious doctor that I do. Those are good traits to have in a doctor when it comes to me and my baby's well being. Besides there's only ten more weeks to go (at the most). It won't be that bad. Doc also told me to up the bedrest, to which I assured him that I am NOT actually out hiking the trails on a daily basis. I've been pretty lazy this whole pregnancy, mainly on purpose. As a result I have gained a little more weight than I would like, 25 pounds so far. But quite honestly, my pregnancy weight gain is SO far down on my list of things that I care/worry about. It'll go away later. IT WILL!!

I got a flu shot yesterday. Before I had a kid, and especially when I was a government employee in a job I didn't LOVE, (i.e cleaning toilets), I NEVER got a flu shot. In fact I even would have gone so far as to say I didn't believe in them. My thinking was "who cares if I get the flu, I'm not going to die from it, and I'll get to stay home from work AND still get paid, yippee!" But I got one last year and this year, because 1) I don't want to get Sara sick, and 2) I don't want to be sick, pregnant, AND running around after a 2 year old. Not fun. We live in such an isolated location, it's the germy tourists that bring in sickness! Our exposure to whatever is going around is limited, but then at the same time, if something does come in, it easily goes around and gets everyone. I was strongly told to get the H1N1 vaccine when it comes out too. Apparently pregnant women get it bad, and are on the top of the list to receive it.

Today is going to be a long one. I woke up at 4:40. Got out of bed at 5. And Iffy is working from 1-10. I need to make sure I grab a nap before he leaves. The nights he works late are always bad, and he's doing it for the next two weeks. Sara goes to bed a little earlier those days. The dogs come back in the house a little later. I just can't handle all the whining that is directed my way at dinner time, both baby and canine based. But Oscar is the worst. "You are a dog, you are outside and you will be there til I say you can come back in. It's the same every day. Deal with it." That's what I want to tell him, and I do, but for some reason he does not understand me.

Here's your Sara picture. You probably think, "When will you learn and stop giving her yogurt?" Well, it keeps her occupied, entertained and besides, she gets a rejuvenating facial out of the deal. It takes weeks off her appearance!



1 comments:

gretchen said...

Thinking about you and am glad you are still in your own bed. Keep us posted and know that you have good thoughts coming your way from a smaller, fellow park family in Washington. Take care and thanks for the updates!