Thursday, August 20, 2009

bon voyage mon frere!

Wrong language, I know, but I don't speak Chinese!

Today is my brother's last day in the states. He has decided to put off college for a year and get out and see the world, namely China. He leaves tomorrow for the city of Qingdao,


where he will stay for a year teaching English to Chinese children. I forget exactly how old they are going to be, I think 6-12ish, and he will have a helper in the classroom to provide assistance. When he is not teaching he will have Chinese lessons provided to him as well, and he will make a small monthly income in addition to having a place to live provided to him.

My brother was born when I was 12, and as such I did alot of care taking. He used to call me "doe-mommy" (Jo-mommy). I changed NUMEROUS of his diapers, and it doesn't seem like that long ago either. Now he is all grown up and going to the other side of the world.


My brother and sister. Sorry for choosing this picture Mary!

He was pretty cute as a little kid. We called him "boo-gee boy" I don't really know why or how that came around. Now I just call him crust butt.

At the top of hunter peak at Guadalupe Mountains.


The obligatory cap and gown picture to prove he graduated.

Even though we do not see each other all that often, or talk on the phone as much as we should, he is after all a busy socialite teenager these days, I will miss him. But I know that it will be a really great experience for him, and now is the best time in his life to go off and do such things before other obligations and responsibilities arise. Plus through the miracle of internet and email, we will still be able to keep in touch.

So, Michael, be safe, have a great time, and don't do anything stupid!!


3 comments:

Amy M said...

How exciting for your bro! Just the beginning of his adult adventures in life.

I love how you can see James and one the twins peaking behind in the graduation pic. Cute!

Anonymous said...

yeah, nothing stupid, like lose your passport or accept rides from strangers, etc etc.
mary

Kristin J said...

I hope your little brother has a good time! What an adventure. I wish I had done stuff like that when I was his age.