Thursday, November 12, 2009

the baby turns two!



yes, yes, I know she is not a baby anymore (Mary) but I don't care, she's still my little shmumpkin pumpkin baby girl. And yesterday she turned two.

She had some presents waiting for her on the coffee table yesterday morning, which she dragged around by the ribbon for a while, as if she was walking a dog, until I told her that there was something in there, and she should open it up! Her favorite was the container of Gerber puffs, which she promptly ate half of in a few minutes.

After breakfast of scrumptious strawberry pancakes we went to the Museum of the Southwest in Midland. I just found out about it a week or so ago, and thought we should check it out. They have an art gallery, a planetarium and a childrens museum. They are all in three different buildings. We just went to the Childrens Museum. It was actually pretty cool. Their rotating exhibit of the moment was on holograms (holographs?) I guess if I had read the signage I would know what the difference was, but I was busy holding a fidgeter so I did not read anything. But holograms are pretty cool regardless of whether you read the signs or not.

The rest of the museum was perfect for Sara age kids. The had all these little rooms (more like alcoves) set up as different parts of a town. There was a bank, a vet office, a grocery store, a burger king, etc etc. Sara had a fun time running around and (my personal favorite) shoving the germ laden plastic hamburgers in her mouth. Oh well.

Outside they had this enclosed dino-dig area, basically a REALLY big sandbox with various bones scattered around and shovels and seives to dig them up with. I really enjoyed burying my feet in the cool sand, but she who doesnt like sand in her shoes didn't really get into it all that much.


The museum was basically an old big house with a big wrap around yard. The yard is now home to various sculptures, so we spent a while outside running around as well. All in all it was a surprisingly nice place to spend the morning, and it was great to get out of the apartment, especially for Saras sake and let her run around.

After her nap, we went to go feed the ducks again, but since we got there a little later than normal, there was a small after school crowd, consisting mainly of unsupervised children who did nothing but chase the birds away as we were trying to feed them. Iffy and I looked around wondering where the mother of these 4 kids (ages 4?-9?) was, and why was she leaving her young children alone at the water. A 9 year old can not really be trusted to keep a 4 year old safe.

After dinner of course we had birthday cake, which as you can see, I decorated to look like Saras good friend Spongebob. i'm going to be the next Cake Boss, just wait and see....

On the Caroline front, all is well. I hit 35 weeks today. Yay. We're still holding out for 38 weeks unless something happens to make her have to come earlier. But at this point, I am not very worried, 35 weeks is SO much farther than 31. If she came at any point now she would be fine. maybe need a little hospital time, but nothing like last time.

Sara had her first dentist appointment a couple days ago as well. We went to a place called Kids Dental. Obviously they cater to kids. She was fine, she sat in my lap and the dentist came in, looked in her mouth and said everything looks fine. But I tell ya', for a pediatric dentist he was none too kid friendly. What's up with that?

So that's about it, I am going to post this now before something else happens that causes me to lose steam or interest, as has already happened numerous times.


See the white duck in the water? He was rather slow on the uptake. All his buddies were quacking and squawking over by us to get at our bread. He finally started over just as we ran out of food. Snooze you loose buddy.

Birthday girl

Life imitating art

Sara was a bit apprehensive about getting too near this bull. I guess the fact that daddy wasn't getting trampled put her at ease.

Little girl in the grass.


The three girls on the dinosaur.

One of our last pictures as a family of three!

The "beach baby" room at the childrens museum. Cheesy name. But padded rooms are good for sitting down for a rest and not having to worry about what your kid is doing.


the grocery store room of the museum

Birthday cake!!

3 comments:

Kristin J said...

Very good cake! Glad you guys are finding something to do there. Sara looks like a 2yo suddenly. So big, so fast.

Amy M said...

Way to go on the fabulous looking cake! I love the family pic. Looks like you're making the most of Odessa life.

gretchen said...

I love the cake! Happy Birthday Sara!