Monday, July 27, 2009

the roller coaster ride continues

So tomorrow I've got 4, that's right 4 medical appointments of one type or another in Odessa.

First I have to swing by the hospital and drop off my jug o' urine at the lab. Not such a big deal , except it requires going through the whole check-in, paperwork rigmarole. Can't just go straight to the lab.

Then at 11:20 I have to be at the high risk doctor's office for a meeting with the genetic counselor. I was sitting on the couch on Friday minding my own business when the phone rang. It was a nurse from the above mentioned office. If they call me out of the blue it makes my heart skip a beat and immediately wonder "what the hell is wrong with me now?" Anyways because of the abnormal results that turned up on my Down Syndrome screening they want us to meet with the genetic lady so she can "answer our questions and make us feel better." I had totally put this out of my mind and was not worrying about it. But then they went and resurrected my (most likely unnecessary) worries. There are so many other things I could just as well worry about. For example the risk rate for autism is 1 out of 160 (or something close to that) That's a higher risk then I was given for Down Syndrome (which was 1/237), and I don't walk around worrying that my kid is going to be autistic. So why am I worrying about DS? Because there is a prenatal screening test for it that gave me a weird number. That's why. I guess that's why people don't take that test.

After that is over we'll get some lunch and be back at the same office for my previously existing 1:00 pm appt with the doc. I will probably have an ultrasound tomorrow, the big one where they do all the measurements, make sure everything is developing normally, and most importantly tell us if there's a penis on the kid or not. I personally could not even care less. Last time I was kinda rooting for a boy. This time I have no feelings at all one way or another.

Finally then at 2:30, I've got my regular old OB appt. And that's my fun filled day tomorrow. We'll leave here at about 6:00 in the morning and probably not get back until after 7 or so. Another long day.

Once again, sorry for rambling on about my doctor stuff. But you'll just have to get used to the fact that this blog is going to cover little else until this kid is born and safe and sound. My mind is consumed with these thoughts all the freakin' time. I hate thinking about whether I am going to be in the hospital in a couple months again or not. It really sucks.

I am not a worrier. Iffy has always been the worrier between the two of us, and always asks me how I can just not worry about anything. I hate the fact that this pregnancy has turned me into a worrier. I am sure it will all end when it's over. It better.

I also do not want to see a doctor or hospital or lab again for a long time after December. I'm sick of it. I know it's for the best, and I wouldn't skip an appointment or lab, but I am so tired of it all, and it's only going to get more frequent as the months go by.

So hopefully tomorrow nothing funky will turn up on the ultrasound, and I'll have some news as to whether or not I can get rid of all my pink stuff!

Here are some pictures of Sara with various stuff on her face.
red and blue crayons:
spaghetti:
and lest you think that Sara is non-stop cute all the time. Here is a picture to prove otherwise!

Smoothie lunch again.


3 comments:

karol said...

Someday Sara's gonna get you for that smoothie picture. I can almost hear her: "Ma-a-a-a-a! Don't show that to anybody!"

Kristin J said...

Ahhh Sara is just so darn cute, even with smoothie on her face. I am really excited about you finding out the sex (hopefully) of you baby tomorrow! To hell with the DS - you're gonna love him/her no matter what! But finding out the sex is just so darn exciting! Do you buy pink stuff again. . . or blue stuff? AHHHH! I can hardly wait to find out!

Amy M said...

I'm sooooo excited to find out what you're having too! Something tells me no matter what (whether you have a baby boy or girl) there might be a little pink in the mix. I think boys look rather dashing in pink. No sense getting rid of perfectly good pink stuff. Especially when they're little newborn lumps.

Good luck at the doc(s)..We're all rooting and anxiously awaiting for the good news. Hopefully baby doesn't keep their legs crossed the entire time.