Thursday, May 7, 2009

at least we don't live here....

I was looking at the Inside NPS website and saw a lateral 9 position (subject to furlough) at the Maze District of Canyonlands. Doesn't this sound like a lovely place to live?? I think a southern Utah town of 125 would be a great place to spend time with my dark skinned children...
Don't worry, we will NOT be applying for this job. Though Iffy did once apply for a position at the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands (which is MUCH closer to civilization) anything in Utah (especially the southern portion of the state) is now out since we have kids and a desired non-bible based education of them to consider. *************************************************************************************
The Maze District ranger station and residence facility are located at Hans Flat, 140 miles from Moab, Utah, where the headquarters for Canyonlands National Park is located. The nearest town is Hanksville (population 125), approximately 69 miles away, including 46 miles of rough dirt road. The 46 miles of dirt road access to Hans Flat can become impassable during storms, is often impassable to 2 wheel drive vehicles, and can occasionally be closed for periods of up to two weeks. Driving time to Moab is approximately 3 hours. Elevation at Hans Flat is 6600 feet above sea level.

Electricity is provided by a photovoltaic system backed up by diesel generators. Water, propane and diesel are all trucked to Hans Flat from Moab. All utilities must by strictly conserved by employees. Telephone communication is via a radio relay and is not always reliable.

The Hans Flat residence area is a small community (4 to 9 employees). Good communication, social skills, and the ability to get along with the other employees are essential. The nearest elementary school is located in Hanksville; the nearest high school is in Green River (86 miles; 2 hours away). School bus service is not available

3 comments:

Kristin J said...

Wow. What a gem. But, if I were single or even newly married this would be an adventure! But with kids . . . no way. I guess people in Alaska live in similar situations, right?

One day I will have to tell you all about my crazy parents living alone on an island in the pacific when she was 8 mos pregnant with me. They had to get a coast guard helicopter to fly me home once I was born because the seas were too rough to go by boat. . .

Sarah said...

Wow that seems horrible. I feel like that would make a good setting for a movie where everyone goes crazy because of the isolation and kills each other.

karol said...

Happy Bee-lated Mother's Day to you, Joanne!
Maybe I could move to the same town in Utah, and the 150 souls there would be too busy burning me as a witch to give you any trouble!
Or maybe not...