Wednesday, August 6, 2008

random thoughts

Just a couple things....



***
I am sitting here watching a documentary on IFC called "Darkon". All I have to say is DORKS!!

Sorry, maybe I am prejudiced, but grown men playing dungeons and dragons in the woods with a bunch of their other dork friends who call themselves things like "the Malcon of Mordom" are DORKS!! I was intrigued enough to check out their website. You can too. It's http://www.darkon.org/

The message boards are especially entertaining. Surprisingly enough some of the young men admit to having trouble approaching girls. Hmmmm...


I made sure Sara watched it and told her she was not allowed to bring any Darkon warriors home to dinner. Anyone else, be it boy or girl, is fine I don't care. But I have to draw the line at 40 year old men with long hair and goatees who live in their mother's basement and draw up war maps for non-existent countries, running through the woods in cardboard armor keeping track of their "damage points".

***
The Odessa CBS 7 news website http://www.cbs7.com/ (voted worst written news in west TX by me) is running a story about how Odessa is going to launch a campaign to advertise themselves as a great place to retire. Which raises the question...If given a choice between Carlsbad NM (which also advertises to the retirement population) and Odessa TX as a place to spend your golden years after working a lifetime, which would be the more God-awful choice??



***
Today I joined an online group called Postcrossing, http://www.postcrossing.com/


The point of which is to exchange postcards with people around the world. I've got my first five to send which will be headed to Finland, Malaysia, Delaware, Germany and somewhere else, I don't remember right now. It will give me something to look for in the mail.



***

Well, I'm going to go work on some stained glass designs, but before I go, here are some cute Sara pictures.


4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmm, I think I would have to pick Odessa. Even though it's ugly, at least they have some better shopping nearby.

I did postcrossing for a while, but then international postcard rate went up to 90c, and I didn't feel like spending a dollar to write to people I didn't even know.

*There were sweet peas at the sweet pea festival - there was a competition. They were kept in a hot tent though, and by the time we saw them they looked sort of droopy and pathetic.

Anonymous said...

aw, I knew I should write to you more- or send more crosswords- so you have more mail to drive 10 miles for!

Kristin J said...

I think I saw a similar documentary on the whole darkon thing. Those folks are nuts. And they take it all so seriously!

Carlsbad would be the more God-awful place to retire. At least in Odessa there is some shopping and MEDICAL care. I'm not sure I remember what good medical care is like now that I think of it.

Kristin J said...

Ha! I just went to the Darkon site and had the best time. There is one "Noble" on there that I swear I went to high school with. "Sir Creed, Knight Banorette" is his name. Too funny. I almost didn't make it to the potty in time I was laughing so hard.