Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Old Month!

When I worked at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, my boss used to wish us a "happy old month" and "happy new month" on the last and first days of the month respectively. The story behind doing so was that when his wife was in college she and her friends once decided why should December 31st and January 1st be the only month change that is celebrated?? So he said that she sometimes would call people at midnight when other months of the years were changing and wish them a "Happy New Month!!" Kinda funny I guess.

So here's what's been going on in the Khan-zuchowski household lately:

We had a belated birthday party for me this past Friday. While we were expecting about 22 people plus kids, there were about 8 that didn't show, so we have a butt load of food left over. It's in the freezer, and will be serving as dinners when needed. It was a good time. It's funny how times have changed. Parties used to mean staying up really late and drinking a lot of beer. Now everyone was gone by 9:30 because that is the latest their kids can make it without having a complete meltdown.

I bought a keyboard online, it got here on Friday. I was inspired to do so because I have been playing Sara's xylophone lately, and the 8 keys just weren't cutting it. So I got a 76 key Yamaha keyboard. I think it is weird that a company makes pianos and motorcycles. It's about as weird a combination as you can get. Of course it has a bunch of buttons and tricks that it can do. I don't really know how to use any of them, nor do I care. A musical instrument is one area where I do not think computers and technology need to butt in. Yes, yes, it is an electric keyboard I know, but I do not have the money or the space for a real piano right now.

I sliced up my pattern bar the other day and fused it. I think I will put it in the middle of a circle and slump it into a plate. It's not very translucent anymore, so a window hanging is out of the question.
I got a soap dish mold the other day also. I had previously fused a sample sheet of plain old stained glass to see if the glasses were compatible. So I had a rectangle with little blobs of colors on it. I decided to slump it into a soap dish.
If you look to the left, you will see that I added a couple more links to my Picturetrail and Photobucket accounts. Now I have one centralized location from which all my Internet spots can be accessed. The Picturetrail is all old pictures and about 99% pictures of Sara, just a warning to those who might not be interested in looking at 5 million pictures of Sara. The Photobucket account is all videos of Sara.

Lately it's been looking a lot like Seattle here. Misty all the time and rainy. When it gets like that our intermittent waterfalls spring to life. Sometimes there are about 5 or 6 visible from the front yard. Alas, they do not last long.

Finally, Sara and I went into Study Butte the other morning to get a few food items, and there sitting on the "free stuff" bench in front of the Study Butte Store was this book. I had to get it, how fitting!
So before I go, here are the obligatory Sara pics. Enjoy.

So cute in her little green shoes!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I like that soap dish - its sort of a fantasy of mine to slowly replace everything in my house with handmade things. Sometimes I hate having to buy the same things that everyone else has!

Have fun with the keyboard. My parents are currently trying to sell their piano, which was the only chance I've had to play in the last few years. One day I'd like to own a piano... but those things are huge and heavy.

The weather looks great - I've always been fond of rainy, dark days. They're a great excuse to stay inside and putter around the house.

Anonymous said...

1. It's fitting to have the words "Call Now!" in the background of Sara...

2. "Long Way from Chicago" is one of the novels we use in 4th grade. It's good (or so I've been told. Anyway, you should read it)

Mary