Tuesday, August 5, 2008

horses and lanterns

This morning I had the video camera running in an effort to film Sara as she pulled herself up the couch to a stand, what a big girl she is! As I was about to start, I looked out the window and saw Iffy standing there with a horse. Not your everyday sight around here, so Sara and I went outside to meet Jeep, that's the horses name, and no Iffy did not name it.



Perhaps trying to get a picture of your baby sitting on a horse is in the same family of dumb things to do as trying to get a picture of your kid sitting on a buffalo at Yellowstone. But we like to think it's different since Iffy works with this horse a lot and knows it to be very gentle and easy going.


They hung around for a little bit, Iffy was about to go for a ride up the mountain with the packer, and came to visit while the packer was packin' his mules. Sara seemed interested in the large animal in the front yard, and the horse helped out with the overgrown grass situation a little bit.



Since I had the video camera in my hand at the moment, that's what I used to take the pictures. I must say that it does not take the best pictures, they always turn out weird looking.


By the time we got back in the house from visiting with daddy and the horse, Sara was a crabby little fuss-butt who needed a nap, so the video of the pulling up did not happen. But I'll get it later.

In other crafty glass news, I've got another job lined up. All you parkies out there who have CAVE ties are familiar with the lanterns used in the oh-so-exciting Left Hand tunnel tours. I have been approached by the superintendent to make some panels for lanterns that will be sold in the bookstore. This is a project that I will collaborate with Donn Allen on (the retired carpenter from the cave). He is making the lanterns and I am making the glass. The picture below is of one that was auctioned off at a superintendents conference in Utah last week. I DID NOT MAKE THE GLASS. Just wanted to make sure that was know.

I am envisioning making maybe 10 or so different designs that can be mixed and matched amongst the lanterns so that occasionally there will be identical ones, but everyone will not be the same. Making the same thing over and over again gets extremely boring and makes me lose steam and enthusiasm on a project. So I think that cycling through a few different designs will be better.


The panel designs will include designs such as bats, stalactites, stalagmites, desert flora etc. Of course each panel is only 3.5" x 9.5" so they will not be able to be too intricate in design. But I'll see what I can do.

Between myself (a mom of a nine month old) and Donn Allen (a busy retired person) we do not have loads of time to spend on this project on a daily basis, so we will be staggering them in to the bookstore over time.


Well, I gotta go take advantage of sleeping baby time.


Adios
Joanne

2 comments:

Kristin J said...

Yeah! So John did get in touch with you. I had AJ email him your stained glass website and hoped that he would find the time to contact you. I guess the other guy who was doing the lanterns wasn't overly creative and they wanted someone to get creative with the lanterns. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sarah said...

Sara looks super-excited to be sitting on that horse!

Ah, lefthand tunnel! I thought I had wiped that place from my memory... I bet your glass is going to come out great. It would be interesting to take in lanterns with colored glass and light up the cave in a rainbow. At least that would be something interesting about lefthand tunnel.