We've been having rain lately. But it's mostly been the nice heavy long rain with no lightning (i.e power outage) involved. There's been many days when you wouldn't even know that there were mountains all around our house, they've been covered in mist and fog. But it appears that the sun is back again today.
I fixed my plate! I ground the two broken edges to make a better fit and then I filled in the gap with some white frit (glass powder). If you look closely you will see that the two black lines have a line of white crossing them and that they don't totally match up. Oh well...
I don't know that I'll be using this as an everyday eater, too much time in the sink and getting washed = too many chances to get broken. Right now it is sitting on our counter holding zucchinis.
As far as the stained glass for the cave goes...it is on hold until I get a new cutter in the mail. I started cutting some pieces the other day, but my glass kept breaking. Yes, I know that the glass breaking IS the point of cutting it, but when the cutter head is crappy it continually breaks where it is not supposed to which is extremely frustrating. So, as is the case when you live in the boonies, it is on hold until supplies arrive from the outside world.
You may recall in a previous post I talked about starting a new project making pattern bars; a bar of fused glass sliced up. Well, due to the fact that the power has been unpredictable around here as of late I have been hesitant to start that project because of the fact that they require close to 56 hours in the kiln and a very slowly maintained rate of cooling is important. If the power was to go out, the rate of cooling would be too fast and it wouldn't turn out good.
Let me take a moment out of my usual glass/baby talk to mention the other beings that live with us...Oscar and Elsie. They were our first "children" I suppose. And Oscar gave us practice not only with the responsibility of taking care of another individual, but with the Parvo virus he had as a puppy, I suppose he gave us the added practice of taking care of a sick individual.
It's ironic, people say that having a dog is "practice" for having a kid. In a way I suppose it's true, but after you have a kid and are at home with the dogs and the baby, you realize that waiting until the kid was 6 or so would have been the better time to add dogs into the equation.
Her toys get covered with dog hair, I'm constantly separating one from the other, and if Elsie uses that high pitched little bark of hers to let me know that a super dangerous car is driving past the house and in the process wakes up a sleeping Sara one more time, I am going to sell Elsie to a travelling band of gypsies.
Why don't I just put them outside you ask?? Well I do, and then I have to listen to them barking at stuff, imaginary or real who knows, all day. I hate listening to them bark, and I am sure the neighbors don't like it too much either, so I bring them in and the fun starts all over. So maybe people should get cats instead for "practice". I am certain that cats and babies would co-exist with very little hassle.
Anyways, here are some pictures of the cutie pie. Enjoy.
3 comments:
But then, cats do shed, shed, shed...and it had better not be a kitten, with the crazed I'm-gonna-kill-everything attitude and tiny needle-sharp claws...
Every once in a while, in the middle of the night, with no provocation whatsoever, Ozma jumps up and nips me. Sometimes on my big toe.
Ah, yes, we have a training cat. I think any animal will do, just to add in that "Well, what are we going to do with the cat?" question to everything you do. Also, cats enjoy boxes, as apparently do babies.
Jason and I went to an art show this weekend and saw some HUGE pieces of fused glass. After hearing your stories about how difficult it can be, I was blown away.
That second to last picture also makes me want to cry...she's that cute.
Post a Comment