Sunday, August 24, 2008

lions and tigers and BEARS!! oh my

Well, it may not be anything special for those of you that live in Yellowstone (Sarah) but for those of us in Texas, it is noteworthy that I FINALLY saw a bear, and on my birthday none the less. It was the first time I have ever seen a bear in the wild. I was driving back up to the Basin after checking the mail, and there it was lumbering across the road. I know that black bears are not all that big, but still I would say that it was a juvenile because it was very lanky. I slowed down and looked around to see if there was another one anywhere around, but alas I saw no more bears. It crossed maybe 30 yards in front of the car. I told Iffy we couldn't move until I'd seen a bear. I guess I've got that crossed off my list now. But we're not going anywhere yet.

In glass news, I have fused my first pattern bar, here it is..


Thanks to Microsoft PictureIt, here is what it will look like when I slice it up and lay it out...


I will slice it up and fuse it onto another piece of glass. Haven't decided what color I am going to fuse it onto yet. After that I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I could make it a hanging panel, I could slump it into a plate or bowl or something. Not sure yet.

Yesterday Sara and I went down to Rio Grande Village, one of the river districts of the park 30 miles from us, for a birthday party. Sara was all decked out in pretty pink party dress and was very cute. They had a pinata at the party and although Sara did not get a turn with the stick, she was VERY interested in watching the other kids. Look at the intent stare on her face. Very cute.


Today is another misty, cloudy rainy day. Yesterday when we were coming home from the birthday party we saw a bunch of waterfalls coming off the mountains due to the rain. I didn't get any pictures though. Today they might be there again, who knows, but I can't see the mountains. I can barely see the house across the street. As you can see in the picture, it is very foggy. But Sara looks happy.


gotta run, the Sara alarm just went off!
adios

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you got to see a bear! I mean, its not fun when it tries to break down your door or anything, but they're still interesting to look at. Your glass looks really neat - I'm looking forward to see what it looks like all fused together. Jason is fascinated with fused glass so I might have to commission something from you when you have perfected your technique!

Kristin J said...

Happy belated birthday! I think 30 is a strange age to be so far. I'm no longer young, but I'm not old yet either.

The last picture of Sara is super cute with her in the fog. She looks so cozy.