...is becoming increasingly difficult.
The trip to the grocery store requires putting Sara in a shopping cart, and pulling another one behind me in which to put the food. Super fun. For those of you saying to yourself, "well, just MAKE her sit in the seat of the shopping cart" Easier said than done. You try it. And the second that any food product goes into the main compartment of the cart she is turning, arching and reaching to get it. Whatever it is. Leaky meat, fragile produce, box of cereal which she then will open. Plus this scenario entails the seat belts of the shopping carts to be actually FUNCTIONAL and not torn and missing the buckle part, which is increasingly difficult to find. Yesterday I opened up a new toothbrush in the hygeine aisle to give her. It kept her occupied for a while, but not long enough. Then a container of Gerber Puffs kept her entertained for a while, but still, that runs the risk of her dumping the entire thing on the floor. And for those of you saying "well, just bring in a toy or book to keep her entertained" Nope, nothing is as fun and entertaining as the stuff in the cart or on the shelves.
If our trips to the grocery store were not so far between, I wouldn't have to get so much stuff on a trip, and it could go on the bottom of the shopping cart. But until that day comes, I guess I will have to go the two shopping cart route.
Eating anywhere requires shoveling the food in my mouth in a hurried fashion before Sara wreaks too much havoc in the restaraunt. My choices are either listening to (and forcing the whole restaurant to listen to) the fussing and whining that comes from trying to make her sit in the high chair, or just let her loose and let her climb on the chairs. Either way is not ideal. Yesterday I decided to just throw in the towel and go to McDonalds instead of a sit down affair. But it wasn't that much better. I ended up eating my sundae in the car so I wouldn't have to do it while pulling Sara off the table.
A trip to the thrift store means trying to find Sara a dozen times as she runs away from me laughing. There is always that slight little panic in the back of my head "where's my kid!?!?!" when I can't see her. I jumped in the dressing room yesterday to try on a shirt and had to hurry hurry hurry to get it on and off again before the ENTIRE contents of my purse and wallet including cash were strewn about the floor and possibly ripped up.
Sara is a handful and a half. But she is worth every moment, but I know that if I was a single mom, I would have LONG AGO lost my mind.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow. That sounds so much like Nick. Before I had Nick I would have been one of those people who say "just make them sit." or "Just tell her NO." but like you I have found that some kids are just not so easy.
Just yesterday AJ and I tried to wrestle him through a brief shopping experience. It was just too much for BOTH of us to handle and AJ took him and waited in the car. Now he knows why my back is killing me at the end of the day.
I have my fingers crossed that for your sanity Miss Caroline is easy going.
Iy, yi, yiiiiiii! (not sure how that is spelled). Hopefully you get my drift. I feel for ya sista. Who knew? Remember the pre-kid days of looking at moms wrestling their children in public and wondering what could be so difficult?
Ooo. Remember being able to use a public bathroom without yelling out "NOOO! Don't touch THAT!" ?
And the whole dining experience in a restaurant I can totally relate to. I haven't eaten a meal like a normal person in a long time. I finish in 4 minutes flat. People look at me like I'm crazy.
I really really wish I could help with some grandma relief, at least I hope you move someplace thats easier for more frequent visits. She will be just the cutest 3 year old if you can survive til then (actually I once heard that the "odd" numbered ages are the ones of most peace and equilibrium)
Post a Comment