Friday, May 7, 2010

some Texas hidden here in my heart

that's a line from a Jimmy Buffet song. A good one. Migration.

Also it pretty much sums up my feelings as our departure from the ole Lone Star State draws nearer.

To be sure, there are many things that I will not miss;

-Odessa
-Midland
-driving 3 and a half hours to get there
-driving 100 miles to get groceries
-Rio Grande Electric Coop
-Having to give my weird "national park" address to customer service reps over the phone. Just ONCE I would have loved to hear someone say "OH! I've been there, it's beautiful!!" Instead I get things addressed to me at Big Ben Park
-cowboy art
-Walmart being your only real shopportunity
-no zoos, museums, parks, etc to take the kids to (yes I realize that I do in fact LIVE in a park)
-having to drive ten miles to check the mail
- the fact that it was 104 at the river today and it is May.
- the Terlingua dogs

But there are many that I will miss:

-the drive up to the Basin, by far the best 7 miles in all of Texas
-the free bench
-Terlingua
-driving to Alpine via Study Butte, those first ten miles or so - gorgeous!
-the wonderful, friendly, caring people that I have met here
-the creative, innovative, self sufficient spirit needed to make it down here. Whether its substituting an ingredient in a recipe, using maxi pads for breast pads or rigging something up to make your car work, sometimes you just need something NOW and the thing you need is 100 miles away so you have to get creative and make do with what you have on hand.
-the desert in the springtime. The cactus really put on a show this year and I am glad I got to see everything come into bloom again before we take off.
-agaves
-the smell of rain in the desert. Too bad i can't bottle that up.
-the skies out here. I know its the same sky out in NM, but it just seems bigger down here.
-Burger Night at the Starlight

Over all my time spent here has been good. We moved to Texas in the very beginning of April 2004. Everything we owned fit in our two cars. Six years later I'm married, I have two beautiful little girls and two dogs. We've been through some hard times, bad pregnancies and thousands of miles of driving. We are very excited to start a new chapter in our lives, but I will always have a little Texas hidden here in my heart.










5 comments:

Amy M said...

Yay for new chapters. It's crazy to think how much has changed since April 2004. The cons to the area I guess are the part you deal with living there. The pros however, do sound FABULOUS. I hope to VISIT Big Ben someday.

Good luck with your move and travels as you open your heart to New Mexico. I can't wait to hear/read all about your "life in New Mexico"

Kristin J said...

Good luck with the move! What a great experience you have had down there, good and bad. I think you are one tough lady for surviving down there with two very small children. I don't know many people that could have done what you have done.

I can't wait to meet your girls and I really can't wait to see some more of your beautiful photography from here in NM.

Amy M said...

time to change your blog title.

joanne said...

i know! but Life in New Mexico sounds too boring. Need to come up with something shnazzier.

gretchen said...

I love where I live now but I do miss "the desert in the springtime." When I flew to Las Cruces a couple of springs ago to take a test everything was blooming and smelled wonderful! I am so happy for you guys and I love the list. I have some thinks that I will miss and then others that I am so glad that I don't have to deal with from all the places that we have lived. Good luck dealing with civilization, shouldn't be to hard of a transition. :)