Sunday, March 14, 2010

Violated

This morning I woke up nice and early, made my coffee and sat down to check out whats goin' on in the world of e-mail/blogs/facebook. And what do I see waiting for me as a little early morning present?? An unauthorized Paypal payment to some European website hosting company for 30 Euros, about 80 bucks. I have been hacked.

I opened a dispute with Paypal, changed my password, changed my security questions, removed my bank account, and changed my primary funding source to a credit card instead of a debit card. All else looks fine in my financial world. Nothing funny is happening with my bank account, thankfully.

I feel so violated. But I have often felt it was just a matter of time before something like this happens. So much of my life is online, and it is of course only going to get worse as the years go by. Short of totally unplugging myself, I don't know what else can be done. I pay for credit monitoring every month, we have security software on the computer, and I run a scan of the computer every once in a while. And yet these things still happen.

This has served as a reminder to be more careful online. I am going to be better about doing all my online payments with credit cards instead of debit from now on. I will not pay anything with a direct bank draft either, not that I do much, but once is all it could take to totally screw me over.

Anyways, here's some pictures. There are other especially cute ones on the other camera card, but that is mysteriously missing. I think Sara has something to do with it.




Sara was being oh so cooperative in this pic.


Pink party dress girl at a birthday party. However, throwing rocks into this tub was way more fun than being in the party.

Hitting things with a big stick is also super fun. Sara still doesn't grasp the concept of the pinata. But that's ok. I say if a kid doesn't get that candy and other fun stuff comes out of it, then they are probably too young to be eating the candy. This is not to say that I am a granola mom that never gives my kid candy or other stuff. You know what I mean...

We went to the Chihuahua races last weekend. In getting ready to leave the house I was looking for a hat for Caroline, and Sara then had to have one too. This is the one she wanted to wear. One of Iffy's training freebies. It's got a patriotic helicopter and flames on it.

Also when going for a walk in the stroller yesterday Sara had to have a hat on. This is the only one I could find.


p.s in the time it took to write this entry, Paypal has already decided my case in my favor. I will be getting my money back. Hooray.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I was also violated! About a year ago I saw that I had several charges on my credit card for acai supplements and internet dating websites. I got all my money back, but I never figured out how the person got my credit card number.

gretchen said...

I love the pic with Sara's feet in the water. It's really cute!

Kristin J said...

Yayyy for getting your money back! Cute kids . . . if you like kids. I am not too fond of mine at the moment so . . . that's where I stand on the kid thing. :)