Wednesday, January 6, 2010

happy new year!

well, a belated one that is...

So on New Years Day (Friday) we headed into Terlingua for the Black Eyed Pea-Off. It's a thing they do every year out here. Apparently it is supposed to be good luck to eat black eyed peas on New Years Day. Sadly I will not be experiencing any luck this year since by the time we got there the peas were all gone :( Then since we were there anyways we decided to stick around and go to the Starlight for dinner. It was our first meal out with two children, and it went quite well. Caroline slept and Sara played peek-a-boo with neighboring tables.

The next day me and the kids went back to Terlingua for the farmers market. It was a small affair, only maybe 6 participants or so, but I got some really yummy soup and bread and a bunch of homegrown cilantro which graced my salsa last night.

Then on Monday I made my return to yoga class. Finally! I had not been in so very long, probably since May or June, since she quit her Monday morning classes and that was the only time I was available to go, and then the whole Odessa thing happened. So it had been awhile. I have become somewhat less flexible over the past months, and there are these rolls around the hip area, that weren't there before, that get in the way of my lunges. Bad rolls! You need to GO AWAY!!

Caroline is still cute. Sara is still a climber (and cute too) Any movable thing that can be used to climb up to the counter is pushed into position and used. The end table in the living room gets pushed into the kitchen. Her Pooh Bear ride on car got put in her room because she was always climbing on it and leaning forward on her tip toes to see what is up on the counter. The other day she pushed her wire/sliding bead toy (you know, like an abacus with curly/wavy wires that the wooden beads move around on. they have them in Drs offices) into the kitchen and she was about to stand on it. I would like to have a box in the living room to throw all the toys into at the end of the day, but forget it, it would get dumped and used as a step stool. The counters need to stay out of Sara's reach. She's already figuring out the drawers too. So now I guess we need to move the sharp knives. When will it end?!? The other day she was hanging onto the pantry door knob with both hands and walking her feet up the door. She is part monkey.

Yesterday we went into Alpine and had lunch at the Chinese food restaurant. I know, when you think west Texas, you think Chinese food. Well, the good thing about Chinese food is the buffet. And I mean good not in the sense of quality or taste of the food, but in the sense that you can eat it right away. The worst part of dining out with Sara is the waiting for the food. Once the food arrives she is 85% occupied. So if you can eliminate the waiting it's a good thing. Anyways, the picture below was taken at lunch. I told Sara to make a funny face and this is what I got. This picture cracks me up every time I look at it. What a little weirdo!


And finally, my sister (whose due date was Monday) went into the hospital last night at midnight. It is currently 5:30 am. So who knows, I could possibly already be an aunt again! Here's some current pictures of her twins. They will be 2 in February.

p.s that white stuff is called "snow". We don't have it here in Texas.

Andrew

Eli

1 comments:

Kristin J said...

I too love that photo of Sarah making a funny face. She is adorable, even if she is part monkey.

Nick is using my drawers in the kitchen as a ladder to climb onto the counter. God forbid Sarah and Nick have children together one day because they would come out with prehensile tails and really long fingers and toes.