Sunday, June 28, 2009

Chicagoans in Texas

When I came back home from Chicago I brought with me my brother, nephew James and my aunt. Apparently I also brought the rain with me, as the weather was a bit crappy while they were here, but at least it wasn't 100+ the whole time.

We went on a couple hikes, drove down to the river at both ends of the park, and suffered two power outages. A nine hour and a 22 hour outage. Apparently the 22 hour one was caused by a tornado touching down somewhere and taking out three poles.

On the powered nights we watched a movies. On the powerless nights we entertained ourselves by playing a lot of UNO, Stratego, Rummy and Guess Who. My brother and I went a few steps further and played a crazy variation of Guess Who where we each had three and even four people that we had to guess. I tell ya, you do some crazy things in Big Bend when the power goes out!

My brother had been here before, but my aunt and nephew had only been out to Guadalupe, and that was almost three years ago for our wedding.

It was nice to spend some quality time with them all, especially my bro, as he is going to China in August for a whole year to teach English! He might possibly come out with his girlfriend one more time before he leaves, but if not, I will not see him again for a while. And James provided a good playmate for Sara, which I am sure was easy for him, as he normally has TWO babies to play with, so only having one to play with was a piece of cake.

Here are some pictures from their visit.

Under the Balanced Rock at the end of the Grapevine Hills Trail


James in the Terlingua "jail"

James and Sara

Cuteness in a hat

Michael and my aunt at Santa Elena Canyon

The intrepid hikers along the Lost Mine Trail

0 comments: