Monday, April 13, 2009

the maternal visit

Last week my mom and Cheryl, a friend of the family, came to visit. It was great to have them here, and they had a fun time playing with little Sara.

While they were here we did some touristy things like go to Santa Elena Canyon, the Hot Springs, etc. Iffy and I had the opportunity to go to dinner alone sans the baby, it was nice, and we did not talk about Sara one single time, in case you might think that is all we talked about.

The highlight of the week was the 6th annual Chihuahua races in the Terlingua Ghost town. This is an event that is put on to benefit the Big Bend Family Crisis Center. It consists of a hot sunny day, a bunch of little dogs that don't even necessary need to be Chihuahuas, and a fenced off area with stalls at one end. Before the races there is a costume contest during which people walk their runty little dogs around adorned in outfits. Some were much more creative than others. My personal favorit was the "hot dog"; a Chihuahua with two stuffed buns on either side of it's body and a stuffed yellow squiggle of mustard running down it's back. It lost out though to the dogs pictured below (which you may note are not even Chihuahuas, but were wearing shoes)




Here are some more pictures from their visit. Enjoy.


Sara and Grandma at Santa Elena Canyon

Sara, Cheryl and I
Little girl in the big outdoors
Crazy hair baby at the Hot Springs

Iffy's floppy hat fits on Sara's head better than it does on my big gigantor head.
Bouganvilla in bloom in Terlingua
Here's some random cute Sara pictures:
When we dropped my mom and Cheryl off at the airport in Odessa is when the real fun began. I got to go to used tire yards with Iffy and sit around waiting in the car while he looked for some tires for his dune buggy! Much of my life is spent waiting in the car for Iffy while he is doing car related things at boring places. Sara entertained herself by climbing around and trying to eat Mardi Gras beads. I entertained myself by taking pictures of her and the tires.


I like how the yield sign points right to Iffy

Pretty exciting stuff huh??

Sara's checkin out the goods in Big Lots.

And finally, this is the sunset that was waiting for us as we got home that evening.

2 comments:

Kristin J said...

Very pretty sunset! The chihuahua races sound so fun. It seems like there is always something going on in Terlingua.

Those pictures of Sara in the car with the beads are funny. She is so sweet.

Hey I like the new look of your blog. Very pretty. That Bouganvilla is really pretty. I need to plant several in my yard. I like those and Crepe Myrtles.

Anonymous said...

Sara looks so grown up in the pic of her in her cute purple dress. I can't believe it! She also looks like she's enjoying shopping at Big Lots. Looking for a bargain just like her mom.
~Amy