The fair yesterday was not a roaring success, I didn't sell out and make a million dollars. But I did sell a few small things, and Sara was good, so overall, it was a good day.
I sold a few chili ristras, some necklaces and earrings, a nightlight, a bunch of notecards and the small roadrunner panel.
There all together there were only 11 artists, so it was not a huge thing, but it is Terlingua after all, which is not a huge town. There was a photographer, two knitters, three painters, a quilter a tie-dyer, a jewelry maker (also a parkie) and the infernal "man who sells crap that still has the made in china sticker on it", granted it was rocks, gemstones, shells and other stuff like that, it was not handmade stuff and it is annoying going to an artist's market and finding that there.
I met another woman who does stained glass and chatted with her for a while. She does mostly large pieces, big installations, stuff like that. She said she occasionally turns down smaller stuff, so she took my card and said she'll pass my name along.
Sara was of course super cute the whole time. She mostly sat in her little booster seat and ate, got held in my arms, and then in the last half of the day she walked around and picked rocks up off the ground. The floor of the place was not paved, but rather covered with grape sized choking hazard rocks, so I spent a lot of time keeping those rocks out of Sara's mouth!
We plan on having a few more fairs during the spring break busy times in March, so hopefully I'll sell some more stuff then.
Last week I also took my stuff out of the Apache Trading Post in Alpine. It hasn't really been selling lately, and I want to get out on my own (i.e without forkin' over the 40% commission) this summer, and I can't keep up production for two venues. I might go back later, who knows, or I might find somewhere else to display. Haven't really decided yet.
Here are some pictures:
My display
Fused Roadrunner (duplicate of the one I made for the cave lanterns)
A small fused panel
The Chisos
I sold the bottom right and the one all the way over on the right
I sold the ones on the top right
The three of us!
I LOVE this picture.
Sara's not too sure about this place.
4 comments:
I've been to some small fairs in the big city of Chicago that were similarly random and I didn't really enjoy, they were not the place to get good prices on the art. But I would go just to keep busy. Especially memorable, and dismal, was a church basement fair at Lincoln and Wellington. If one's lucky maybe a happy trade occurs with another artist. At least you had a nice day with Sara. And sounds like you did sell a lot. I like those pendants (hint). And I like the little red girl picture too.
I don't know if I've asked you before, but do you have an Etsy store? I know they take commission, so that might be a negative, but it seems like that site gets a ton of traffic, especially for jewelry. We went to some craft fairs in Bozeman, MT and Jackson, WY this summer that were PACKED. Although I guess that might be too far of a drive for you :) Love the jewelry!
That is a really cool collection of glass! You have a very nice display. It looks like it is back lit to display the glass better, yes? You're all professional looking. I was going to suggest the Etsy site as well.
As always the Sara pictures are super cute.
i do not have an etsy site. perhaps i will look into it.
Post a Comment